Prostate Cancer Medical and Surgical Treatments in Smithfield NC
Urologist Dr. Mohamed will provide treatment plan and options depending on grading and staging levels of patient’s cancer. Call (919) 335-8848 to schedule a consultation today.
Table Of Contents:
A prostate is a very small gland, that is about the shape and size of a walnut, in the body that is part of the male reproductive system. The male prostate is well rested below the males’ bladder and in front of their rectum. It surrounds part of the urethra, which is the tube in the penis that allows pee to exit from the bladder. The prostate also helps make up some of the fluid that is in semen.
Prostate cancer is actually one of the most commonly developed forms of cancer in men. In most cases, prostate cancer grows very slowly and is typically confined to just the prostate gland, where it may not cause any serious harm to the patient. But however, while many times the type of prostate cancer can grow slowly and may require very little to no treatment – there are other types of prostate cancer that are very aggressive and can spread rather quickly. So, it is very important for all men, no matter what their age, partner with their primary care doctor to conduct routine prostate exams. There is a much higher chance of recovery in the patient whose cancer was detected in the early stages – and that is still confined in the prostate gland.
Prostate cancer may cause very subtle to absolutely no signs or symptoms in its very early stages of development. For this reason, it is rather very important for all men, to keep up with their routine prostate checkups with their primary medical healthcare professional.
Prostate cancer that is in the more developed and advanced stages may cause multiple signs and symptoms in the patient. Some of which include one, or a combination, of the following:
– Trouble and/or pain while urinating
– Decreased pressure in the urination stream
– Presence of blood in the semen
– Discomfort or pain in the pelvic area
– Development of erectile dysfunction
There are some things that a person can do to try to maintain a healthy lifestyle, which can in turn, help prevent any development of cancer or prostate cancer. This will not guarantee the prevention because there are other factors that play a part in the development of cancer that no one has control over, such as family history and genetics. Some of the preventative measures that patients can take include some of the following:
– Choose a healthy diet that is full of fruits and vegetables: Avoid the intake of foods containing high amounts of fat and instead choose to consume a variety of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Consistently eating a healthy diet can improve a persons’ overall health.
– Always choose healthy foods over vitamin supplements: Foods that are rich in vitamins and minerals are always a much better, and healthier, choice over taking vitamin supplements.
– Routine Exercise: Exercise improves overall health, and helps maintain healthy weight. It also releases endorphins to improve a person’s overall mood.
– Maintaining a healthy weight: If a patient is currently at a healthy weight, they should work to maintain it. However, if a person is under or over weight – it is important to work with a doctor to help reduce or increase healthy calories to get to a healthy weight and work to maintain it.
Additional Services You May Need
Additional Services You May Need